Contents in this section
Specific visas are granted for various purposes.
The principal types of visas issued are mentioned below:
- Tourist Visa
- Tourists wishing to visit India will be granted Tourist Visas normally for a period up to six months effective from the date of issue with multiple entries. Tourist Visas are non-extendable and non -convertible. Travel agents and people connected with tourism trade who have to visit India frequently, can be granted Tourist Visas for a longer duration.
- Business Visa (Download Business Visa FAQ)
- Applicants for Business Visas have to submit two letter, one from the Company in Ethiopia sponsoring them and another from the Company in India inviting them, stating the nature of business to be carried out. Both the letters should specify the period of which the visa is required. Normally Business Visas are granted up to 6 months and in exceptional cases up to one year.
- Student Visa
- Student Visas can be obtained on furnishing proof of admission (original admission letter) to recognized Universities/Institutions in India. Applicants are required to submit a completely filled application form, two photographs, authenticated certificates and mark sheets of the last examination passed, a satisfactory evidence of financial support, a letter of guarantee prescribed by the Embassy duly filled in and witnessed. The guarantor (generally the parent(s)) should bring photocopy of his identity card and his last four months bank statement along with original and sign the form in presence of the consular officer, evidence of transfer of adequate funds for at least four months' sustenance in India, which is approx. US$ 1500/- by bank transfer or by bank draft or Traveller's cheque and photocopies of passport and yellow fever vaccination card. If the parent(s) do not reside in Ethiopia or cannot come to the embassy for any reason, the applicant must give reason in writing reason for another relative or guardian to be accepted as guarantor by the Embassy. In their application, the applicant will also provide full relationship with the relative or guardian. It is the discretion of the Embassy to accept financial guarantee from a person other than parents.
- Employment Visa
- Employment Visa can be obtained on furnishing appointment letter from India and the original "Employment Contract" between the applicant and the employer along with one photocopy. The period of the visa will depend on the validity of the contract limited to a maximum of 5 years.
- Medical Visa
- Medical Visa or visa to accompany patient can be obtained on production of proof of appointment with hospital in India and financial support/ guarantee letter.
- Transit Visa
- Transit Visa is granted for the sole purpose of enabling the holder to travel to India to reach his/her ultimate destination. Evidence/air ticket for onward travel to the destination outside India should be produced. Transit Visas are valid for halts up to 3 hours. Double Entry Transit Visas can be granted for stay in transit up to 3 days on each visit.
- Journalist Visa
- Journalist Visas are granted to professional journalists, pressmen, photographers, film-men, representatives of radio and television and similar personnel in the field of information. Such applications may be submitted to the Second Secretary (Information) of the Embassy.
- Other types of visas
- Foreign nationals of Indian origin, their spouses and children can obtain a 5 year visa, subject to production of documentary evidence such as cancelled Indian passport/surrender certificate of Indian nationality, etc. in case of persons of Indian origin and marriage certificate/family certificate in case of their spouses/children. If such an applicant is not a permanent resident of Ethiopia or Djibouti, this will be subject to clearance from the Indian Mission in the country in which the applicant normally resides.
Visa applicants for conferences, yoga/Vedic culture studies, research projects, voluntary works, missionary work, mountaineering or other expeditions, have to contact the Embassy for ascertaining the requirements/further details.
Persons holding long term visas (having validity exceeding 6 months) are normally expected to stay in India for a maximum of 6 months during each visit. Please refer to the note below for requirement to register with the Foreigners Registration Office (FRO)/ Foreigners Regional Registration Office (FRRO).
Registration with Foreigners Registration Office (FRO)/Foreigners Regional Registration Office (FRRO)
Persons of Indian origin holding multiple entry X-visas, visiting India to meet relatives or for social purposes, are required to register with the FRO/FRRO within 14 days of first arrival only if they intend to stay continuously for mote than 180 days. This registration is required during the first visit after the visa is issued. Subsequent travels using the same visa do not require registration. Children below the age of 16 years are exempted from this requirement. All other visitors to India, including those of Indian origin, holding any other category of visa valid for more than 6 months should register with the FRO/FRRO within 14 days of arrival in India, if their stay exceeds 180 days on each visit.
- Original passport valid for at least 6 months. The passport must have the holder's signature. If the passport is newly issued (within 6 months from the date of visa application), the previous passport also should be shown for verification. In case of dual nationality both the passports should be presented.
- Correct visa fee.
- Two passport size photographs (5 photographs in case of Pakistani nationals).
- Copies of supporting documents, passport and yellow fever vaccination certificate. All visa applicants going to India would have to undergo yellow fever vaccination 10 days prior to the application/departure.
- In case of visas for minors on separate passports, a consent/sponsor letter from the parents should be submitted.
- Duly completed application form. The visa application should be signed only by the applicant and it should tally with the signature in the passport. (Pakistani and Bangladeshi nationals need to apply on special application forms).
Please read all instructions on the application form carefully before filling it out.
Application forms should be filled up only in English, legibly and accurately.
Incomplete and illegible forms will be returned without service.
- The visa fees are to be paid in Birr and in cash only.
- Fees once received will not be refunded, even if the application is withdrawn or the service refused.
VISA FEE SCHEDULE (w.e.f 07/09/2011)
(FOR ETHIOPIAN & DJIBOUTIAN NATIONALS ONLY)
|Type||Service||Fee in ET. Birr|
|Transit Visa||Single/double entry||900|
|Tourist Visa / Business||Visas Valid up to 6 months||760|
|Visas valid over 6 months and upto 1 year (Multiple entry)||1210|
|Student Visa||Visas for more than 1 year up to a maximum period of 5 years (multiple entry)||1390|
|Business||Visas valid up to 1 year||2200|
|Visas over 1 year and upto 5 years||3640|
|Medical / Entry Visa / Other||Visas valid up to 6 months||1480|
|Visas over 6 months and upto 1 year||2200|
|Visas over 1 year and upto 5 years||3640|
Application forms for Indian Visa can be collected from the reception counter at the Embassy from MONDAY TO FRIDAY between 9:30 am and 11:30 am, except on Holidays.
Various VISA Fees in respect of other Nationality may please obtain from the embassy.
SUBMISSION OF ORIGINAL & COPY OF A VALID AND NOT LESS THAN 10(TEN) DAYS OLD YELLOW FEVER VACCINATION CARD IS AN ESSENTIAL CONDITION FOR GRANTING VISA. THE APPLICANT IS ALSO REQUIRED TO POSSESS THE ORIGINAL YELLOW FEVER VACCINATION CARD DURING HIS/HER ENTRY INTO INDIA.
PLEASE CHECK WITH THE VISA SECTION FOR ANY CHANGES
For enquiries: Embassy of India
Kebena, Aware, Next to Bel Air Hotel
P.O. Box 528 Addis Ababa (ETHIOPIA)
Please e-mail to: email@example.com