Passport services for Indian citizens
Contents in this section
- Requirements before Application
- General Information
- Issue of New Passport
- Extension of Short Validity Passport
- Duplicate Passports (in lieu of lost/damaged passports)
- Change of Name
- Change of Date of Birth
- Passports for minors
- Fee for Passport and Consular Services
- Application Forms
- Address for further inquiries
Please check the following points before submitting the passport application:
- The application should be completely filled-up. Please fill up each and every column, if something is not applicable to you please write 'not applicable'.
- Please write Surname and Given name separately.
- Signature should be in the middle of box, provided in the application form.
- Photograph should be in the dimension of 4.5cmX 4.5 cm with white or light background and dark dress.
- Please enclose photocopy of Passport
- Please enclose photocopy of valid Residence Permit
- Please fill up data entry sheet (it is mandatory to fill all the column of this sheet).
- Please fill-up Personal Particular Form in duplicate
- Please fill-up Sworn Affidavit Form in case of minor child. It should be signed by both the parents.
- Please attach photocopy of passports as well as valid residence permit copy of Mother and Father of Minor applicant.
- If there is a change of address in the application form - please provide the proof of address. (Telephone Bill/Electricity Bill/Election Commission Card/Sale Deed etc.
- If there is Addition of spouse name in the application form - Please attach attested copy of Marriage Certificate or copy of spouse passport if her/his name is mentioned in that.
- Please submit the application before 11.30 a.m. The applicant has to come in person for this purpose.
Applications for all passport/consular services (like issue of new/duplicate passports, renewals and miscellaneous services on passport, attestation of documents etc.) are accepted at the Embassy between 09:30 AM and 11:30 AM on all working days (Monday to Friday). Saturday and Sunday are closed holidays. The passports and other documents, irrespective of date or time or submission, are delivered only between 4:30 to 5:00 PM on working days.
- Your passport is a valuable document. It should always be kept either in your own custody or in the custody of a person duly authorised by you. If lost or destroyed, the fact and circumstances should be immediately reported to the nearest Indian Mission/Post and the local police.
- Your passport must not be altered or mutilated in anyway nor any endorsement made on it by any person other than a duly authorised official of the Government of India.
- The maximum life of an India Passport is ten (10) years from the date of issue. Please ensure that you obtain a fresh passport within one year before its expiry, as issue of new passport, after expiry of previous passport, could take a number of weeks.
- Please keep a photocopy of your passport in a safe place. In the event of loss or damage of the original passport, its photocopy helps the applicant in providing important passport details, which are necessary to process the application for duplicate passport. Without these details, issuance of duplicate passport may be delayed.
- It is an offence under the Passport Act 1967 to give false information in the Application. Passport facilities can be denied on grounds of suppression of factual information, submission of false particulars, wilful damage of passport and for making unauthorised changes in the passports.
- Your passport can be impounded or revoked by the Government of India under the provisions of the Passport Act 1967 in which event you will have to surrender the passport to the nearest Indian passport issuing authority.
- Application forms should be filled in fully, legibly (in capital letter) and accurately and submitted with the passport. Misrepresentation of facts may result in denial of passport/consular service. Applications received with incomplete details will remain unprocessed.
- Every child should have a separate passport.
If a holder of an Indian Passport acquires nationality of another country, he/she must immediately surrender his/her Indian Passport forthwith to the nearest Indian Mission/Post abroad. Unauthorised possession of an Indian Passport shall constitute an offence punishable under the Indian Passports Act, 1967.
An Application for a new passport can be made within one year before expiry of the old passport. For this purpose, an Application Form for an Indian Passport along with your expiring passport, three recent photographs, a copy of 'Resident Permit in Ethiopia' and an affidavit should be submitted.
The validity of this passport can be extended up to 10 years from the date of issue. In the case of minors (up to 18 years), the passport will be extended up to 5 years from the date of issue. Application Form for extension of validity along with three photographs should be submitted. References may be required to be made to the competent authorities in India, or Indian Missions/ Posts abroad.
Please submit your application with the following documents:
- Original Police Report intimating about loss of passport.
- Eight photographs.
- Additional information form for issue of duplicate passports. Form to be obtained from the Embassy.
- Clear Photocopy of previous (lost) passport.
- Statement giving details of the date/place/circumstances of the loss of passport.
- Copies of any document indicating the personal particulars and the nationality status of the applicant. (The originals may also be required to be shown to the Embassy.)
- One copy of the relevant affidavit.
- It normally takes at least about 3 months to complete the verification process before duplicate passports can be issue. Duplicate passports are issued only on receipt of clearances from the concerned authorities in India. Applicants are, therefore, requested to refrain from making written/e-mail/telephone inquires during this period. Applicants are required to personally come to the Embassy for a duplicate passport in lieu of a lost/damaged passport.
- It is important to furnish full, accurate and truthful information in the form. Misrepresentation of facts may result in denial of passport facilities. Applications received with incomplete details will not be processed. IN case of second loss/damage a triplicate passport is issued with a warning letter. Application in respect of habitual losers of passports require even longer periods for processing.
- For change of name or surname, consequent to marriage/divorce, please submit original marriage certificate or the original 'order' from the court pertaining to divorce along with photocopies and husband's/wife's passport.
- In all other cases of change of name/surname in the passport, the change has first to be advertised in a daily newspaper, both in Ethiopia and India (circulation in the area of your permanent and present residence). Original newspapers are required to be submitted. A sworn affidavit is also to be submitted along with application. Service is provided after a waiting period of 30 days from the date of publication of advertisement in the newspaper.
Applications for change in date of birth not entertained unless accompanied by a Court Order issued by a judicial officer not below the rank of First Class Magistrate in India. Clarificatory orders/certificates of other authorities (who had issued the Date of Birth certification presented to the original Passport Issuing Authority) conveying any amendment may be produced before the Embassy for consideration.
Every child should have a separate passport. For applications for passport for a child, it is necessary to submit photocopies of the child's birth certificate, passports of the parents, Residential Permit, and family certificate. The originals of these documents are also required to be presented before the Consular Officer at the time submitting the application form.
An Emergency Certificate (one way travel document) which authorities an Indian to enter India, is issued to a citizen of India whose passport has been lost, stolen or damaged an to whom new passports cannot be issued without approval from India. This is primarily with the objective of ensuring their return to India. The final decision of issuing an Emergency Certificate is subject to a detailed examination of the request by the Embassy. It might also require certain clearances from the concerned authorities in India and/or the concerned Indian Mission/Posts abroad.
Back to top
- Fee should be deposited in cash at the counter, and the receipt obtained.
- No refunds: Fees once received, cannot be refunded, even if the application is withdrawn or it service cannot be rendered.
|Details of Service||Fees in Eth. Birr|
|Issue of new passport (36 pages and 10 years validity)||760.00|
|Issue of new passport (Jumbo booklet 60 pages and 10 years validity)||940.00|
|Issue of duplicate passport in case of lost/stolen/damaged (36 pages)||2290.00|
|Issue of duplicate passport (Jumbo booklet 60 pages)||2560.00|
|Issue of passport for minor children (up to 18 years of age and 5 years validity)||490.00|
|Miscellaneous services on Indian passport (addition/deletion of name of spouse, change of address, change of name/maiden or married status, etc.)||220.00|
|Affidavit/Documents attestation relating to sale/purchase of real estate etc.||400.00|
|Death Certificate/Registration||No Fee|
|Documents relating to trade and commerce attestation||940.00|
|Emigration Clearance Waiver||220.00|
|Police Clearance Certificate||400.00|
|Any other Miscellaneous Certificate as per the local requirement in Ethiopia||400.00|
Application forms for passports and miscellaneous services can be collected from the reception counter at the Embassy from MONDAY TO FRIDAY between 9:30 and 11:00 AM, except Holidays. (Click here to download Passport and Miscellaneous Application Forms)
Please check with the consular section for any changes at the following Address
For enquiries: Embassy of India
Kebena, Aware, Next to Bel Air Hotel
P.O. Box 528 Addis Ababa (ETHIOPIA)
Please e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org