- The Embassy of India in Addis Ababa covers whole of Ethiopia and Republic of Djibouti.
- All foreign nationals, including children, require visas to enter India.
- All foreign nationals travelling to India from African countries should carry valid yellow fever vaccination certificate. The applicant must have taken vaccination 10 days prior to date of travel/application.
- The Embassy of India in Addis Ababa issues Tourist, Entry, Business, Student, Medical and other types of visas to the Ethiopian and Djiboutian nationals and to other foreign nationals also residing in Ethiopia and Djibouti on production of certificate of residence.
- Processing of visa applications from non-Ethiopians & non-Djiboutian, especially those not ordinarily residing in Ethiopia or Djibouti, may take one week or longer. Those who are unable to produce the certificate of residence issued by the concerned authorities as proof of long-term residence in Ethiopia or Djibouti (minimum two years), will have to submit a separate fax form and an additional fax charges for making a reference to the Indian mission in their country. In certain categories, the reference is compulsory, irrespective of the term of residence in Ethiopia or Djibouti.
- Visitors to restricted/protected areas need special permits and for this purpose an additional form is to be submitted. It can be ascertained from the Embassy of India, Addis Ababa whether the places intended to be visited fall in the category of restricted/protected areas.
- Each visa application is concerned on its merit and the Embassy may ask for additional information at any stage during the processing of the application. The fact that an application has been accepted, does not guarantee that the visa will be granted.
- Visa fees are non-refundable even if visa is declined. The Embassy reserves the right of deciding the duration of visa irrespective of the fees tendered at the time of making application.
- Applications are accepted between 9:30 am and 11:30 am on all working days, (Mondays to Fridays) except Holidays.
- The passports and other documents, irrespective of date or time or submission, are delivered only between 4:30 to 5:00 PM on working days.
- All Forms related to visas, passport, registrations, etc. can be downloaded in PDF format on the downloads page.
A complete list of all types of visas issued by the Embassy including more details on requirements and fees can be found on the Visa page.
Continue to Visa page